a. What is nonverbal communication?
• “Messages expressed by nonlinguistic means.”
- Includes silent behaviors, environment, artifacts, and vocal intonation
- Is a powerful mode of communication
- Communicating without words.
b. Why is nonverbal important?
• For identity management
- Socioeconomic status
c. What are the different types of nonverbal?
• Face and Eyes
• Facial Expressions
d. What are the different types of eye contact?
ⅰ. mutual gaze
• When two people are looking in the direction of each other.
ⅱ. one-sided look
• Glancing at another person.
• The gaze is not reciprocated.
• When someone avoids looking at another person, even when the other person is
looking at him or her.
ⅲ. gaze aversion
• Intentional act
• Avoids looking at the person
ⅳ. gaze omission
• One person does not look at the other but it’s not intentional.
a. What are the 4 types of personal space? What is the distance?
ⅰ. intimate distance – 0-18 inches
ⅱ. casual-personal distance – 18 inches-4 feet
ⅲ. social distance – 4 feet-12 feet