1. What is microRNA (miRNA)?
2. What is microRNA (miRNA)? (Con’t)
3. miRNAs involved in vascular biology
4. miRNA array (cLDL treated HUVEC)
What is microRNA (miRNA)?
• Non-coding small interfering endogenous RNAs
• First discovered in Caenorhabditis elegans in 1993
• A fundamental component of the regulatory system of gene expression
> 500 miRNAs in the human genome
• Functions in stress resistance, in metbolism, etc…
What is microRNA (miRNA)? (Con’t)
• Base pairing with complementary sequences in the 3’ UTRs
• Functions largely unknown.
• Location overlaped with known protein coding or noncoding genes.
> 3% of the human genome.
• Regulate~ 30% of the protein-coding genes