1. Historical Introduction
2. What is DNA fingerprinting?
3. Making DNA Fingerprinting
4. Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism
5. Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
6. Short Tandem Repeats (STR)
7. DNA Sequencing
8. Capillary Electrophoresis
9. Gel Electrophoresis
• STR: repeated sequences of 3-5 base pairs (loci) which can be identified in a known data base.
• Very useful in DNA analysis because they show great variability among individuals.
• Newer and more precise method yielding errors of about 1 in 1029.
• Does not require very much DNA, can be coupled with PCR.
• Short tandem repeat (STR) technology : evaluates specific regions (loci) that are found on DNA.
• The variable (polymorphic) nature of STR regions intensifies the discrimination between one DNA profile and another.