1. What is vocabulary?
2. Background to the teaching of vocabulary
3. Principles for teaching vocabulary
4. Classroom techniques and tasks
5. Vocabulary in the classroom.
- groups of words, that is collocations, and lexical phrases
- If learners want to use language fluently and want to sound like native-speakers, they need to be able to put the words together quickly in typical combinations.
- “Memorize perfectly the largest number of common useful word-groups.
- As a way of quickly developing fluency and of picking up native-like expressions, groups of words should be learned as units.
➀ Focus on the most useful vocabulary first.
-Before using a text with learners, it is useful to see how much of the vocabulary in the text is likely to be new for them.- the frequency level of the vocabulary in the text- how much is in the first 1000, the second 1000, the Academic Word List, and how many are not in those lists.
➁ Focus on the vocabulary in the most appropriate way.
-Teacher should give attention to high frequency words and should focus on the strategies for dealing with low frequency words.