▶ Definition : acute febrile vasculitis of childhood
- clinical and epidemiologic features strongly supported an infectious origin.
- symptomatic illness occurs only in genetically predisposed hosts.
- Illness in infants younger than 4mo may be due to passive maternal antibody
- Asian children is higher than in other racial group. But illness occurs worldwide in all ethnic group.
- occurs predominantly in the young children ; 80% of younger than 5years
- affecting the medium-sized arteries (mainly coronary arteries.)
- edema of endothelial and smooth muscle cells with intense inflammatory infiltration of vascular wall
- inflammation involved all layers of the vascular wall and resulting dilation and aneurysm formation.