운영체제론 5,6장 연습문제 풀이입니다.
5.1 Provide two programming examples of multithreading that improve performance over a single-threaded solution.
(1) A Web server that services each request in a separate thread.
(2) A parallelized application such as matrix multiplication where different parts of the matrix may be worked on in parallel.
(3) An interactive GUI program such as a debugger where a thread is used to monitor user input, another thread represents the running application, and a third thread monitors performance.
5.2 Provide two programming examples of multithreading that do not improve performance over a single-threaded solution.
(1) Any kind of sequential program is not a good candidate to be threaded. An example of this is a program that calculates an individual tax return.
(2) Another example is a ”shell” program such as the C-shell or Korn shell. Such a program must closely monitor its own working space such as open files, environment variables, and current working directory.