Changdeokgung Palace was built during the 5th year of the reign of King Taejong (1405) as a royal villa. It was later used as royal residence when Gyeongbokgung Palace was burnt down during the Japanese invasion in 1592. Since the site of the Palace is not level, the layout of the buildings is designed in such a way that architectural forms adapt to the changing natural terrain. In particular, the back garden, along with numerous pavilions, tens of thousands of trees and flowering plants attest to the Korean design tradition that harmonizes the structure with its natural surroundings.
Subway Get off at Anguk Stn. (Line 3, Exit 3 )