1. aberration 일시적 방황, 일시적 정신이상
We were convinced that Ed’s poor test marks were an aberration, and that he would do better the
Sandra’s father’s forgetfulness was not an aberration but the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
*onset 징후, Alzheimer’s disease 치매
2. abstinence 금주, 절제
I believed the alcoholic would soon forget his pledge of abstinence.
3. abstract (1) theoretical, not applied or practical = not concrete = hard to understand 추상적인
(2) a summary 요약
I prefer realistic art to abstract paintings, which are totally confusing to me.
The original document was 60 pages long, so I appreciated Sid’s concise abstract.
*appreciate 감사/감상/높이 평가 하다
4. acclaim (1) loud applause 갈채
(2) applaud = praise 갈채하다
With acclaim ringing in their ears, the winners left the court.
5. acquiesce (1) accede 묵인/동의하다
The president said that we will never acquiesce to the demands of terrorists.
6. admonish = advise against something = warn = scold gently = urge strongly 훈계하다
This is the last time I plan to admonish you about coming late to work.